In this age of fake news and click-bait websites, it may be tempting to believe everything you see on social media. Let's develop a healthy media literacy and critical thinking by using reputable news sources.
Criteria: These websites represent established media outlets dating before the year 2001. In other words, most of them were originally television or radio stations, newspapers, or paper magazines. While there is no such thing as “unbiased” news, these companies have been well-respected for their journalistic integrity.
Please note: Many reputable news outlets have their sites behind “paywall.” This means you will have to purchase subscriptions in order to view articles. Many such sites allow up to a small number of free articles per month, or just show first 2 or 3 paragraphs of each article.
The @ symbol denotes official Twitter feeds, often a good source for breaking news stories.
Many of these sites rely on advertising revenues to support journalists and newsroom expenses. Please disable your adblocker as a sign of respect. If you are concerned about privacy involving third-party advertisers, turn on "Do Not Track" and delete cookies periodically.
Sites that consider itself to be an outlet for so-called "advocacy journalism," such as Democracy Now!, are not included in this list.
Share this page: http://bit.ly/realnewssources
Pacific Northwest local
- The Portland Tribune and other Community Newspapers, Milwaukie, Ore. Established 2001 (Portland Tribune – most other papers are older). http://cni.pmgnews.com (A good source for local and hyper-local news.) @theportlandtrib
- The Oregonian, Portland, Ore. Established 1851. http://www.oregonlive.com @oregonian
- The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Seattle. Established 1863. http://www.seattlepi.com @seattlepi
- Tacoma News-Tribune, Tacoma, Wash. Established 1883. http://www.thenewstribune.com @thenewstribune
- The Eugene Register-Guard, Eugene, Ore. Established 1867. http://www.registerguard.com/rg/news @registerguard
- The Vancouver Sun, Vancouver, B.C. Established 1912. http://vancouversun.com @vancouversun
- KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio, Seattle and Tumwater, Wash. Established 1952. http://kuow.org @kuow
- CBC British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C. Established 1953. http://www.cbc.ca/bc @cbcnewsbc
United States of America, national
- The Christian Science Monitor, Boston, Mass. Established 1908. http://www.csmonitor.com @csmonitor
- National Public Radio, Washington, D.C. Established 1970. http://www.npr.org @npr @nprpolitics
- The New York Times, New York. Established 1851. http://www.nytimes.com (paywall) @nytimes @nytimesworld @nytopinion @nytpolitics @nytscience @upshotnyt
- The Washington Post, Washington, D.C. Established 1877. http://www.washingtonpost.com @washingtonpost
- The Voice of America, Washington, D.C. Established 1942. http://www.voanews.com (Unofficial Gopher: https://gopherproxy.meulie.net/gopher.floodgap.com/1/feeds/browser%3Fvoaheadlines) @voanews
- Newsweek, New York. Established 1933. http://www.newsweek.com @newsweek @newsweek_int
- Time, New York. Established 1923. http://time.com @time
- U.S. News & World Report, Washington, D.C. Established 1948. http://www.usnews.com @usnews
- Slate, Washington, D.C. Established 1996. http://www.slate.com (paywall for non-U.S. readers only) @slate
- USA Today, Washington, D.C. Established 1982. http://www.usatoday.com @usatoday
- The Buenos Aires Herald, Buenos Aires. Established 1876. http://www.buenosairesherald.com @baheraldcom
Europe and Great Britain
- The Guardian, London (originally Manchester). Established 1821. http://www.theguardian.com @guardian @guardiannews
- British Broadcasting Corporation, London. Established 1922. http://www.bbc.co.uk @bbc @bbcworld @bbcbreaking @bbcmundo @bbcnewsasia @bbcnews @bbcnewsnight @bbcworldservice @bbcmonitoring @bbcnewsus
- Deutsche Welle, Berlin. Established 1953. http://www.dw.com/en In 30 languages. @deutschewelle @dwnews @dw_business @dw_globalideas
Asia and Oceania
- The Japan Times, Tokyo. Established 1897. http://www.japantimes.co.jp @japantimes @japantimes_life
- The Asahi Shimbun, Tokyo. Established 1879. http://www.asahi.com/ajw/ @ajwasahi @asahi @asahi_weekly @aeranetjp
- South China Morning Post, Hong Kong. Established 1903. http://www.scmp.com (Note: SCMP is now owned by Alibaba Group based in Hanzhou, China, and has close ties to the Communist Party of China. These have been some allegations of self-censorship and biases favorable to Beijing in recent years.) @scmp_news
- Taipei Times, Taipei. Established 1999. http://www.taipeitimes.com
- The Sydney Morning Herald, Sydney. Established 1831. http://www.smh.com.au @smh
- Vice, New York/Montreal/London/etc. Established 1994. http://www.vice.com (Founded originally as Voice of Montreal, an arts and culture magazine. In recent years Vice has become known for deep, high-risk investigative journalism on sometimes controversial issues.) @vicenews @vice
- The Epoch Times, New York and other worldwide locations. Established 2000. In 20 languages. http://www.theepochtimes.com (Note: Founded originally by followers of Falun Dafa to counter what they saw as Chinese Communist propaganda against Falun Dafa; China-related articles are written from a decidedly anti-Communist bias. However, most of non-China-related articles are mostly re-publications of Associated Press and other reputable international wire news agencies and you can read them all for free. It also publishes a weekly broadsheet newspaper for free distribution in major U.S. cities which features a well-curated and concise recap of world news.) @epochtimes @epochtimeschina @epochtimesbiz @epochtimesnyc @epochtimestech @epochtimeslife @epochtimescan @epochtimessg @epochtimesopini @epocharts @epochtimespt @epochtimesfr @lagranepoca
These news outlets are worth mentioning here, however, be aware that they are not “unbiased” sources of news. Rather, they are created by a foreign government to counter what they view as pro-American and/or pro-Western European biased media coverages by mainstream international media. Please exercise good critical thinking. Sometimes these sites offer insights on different cultures and ways of thinking, however.
- teleSUR: a multinational South American TV network founded by Hugo Chavez, based in Caracas, Venezuela. http://www.telesurtv.net/english/ (Favorable views toward the "pink tide" political parties such as Venezuela's United Socialist Party, Brazil's Workers' Party, and Argentina's Victory Front-Justicialist Party.) @telesurenglish @telesurtv
- Telam: part of the Federal System of Media and Public Contents of Argentina, editorial control is highly susceptible to the political positions of the sitting president. In Spanish only. http://www.telam.com.ar @agenciatelam
- Nihon Hoso Kyokai (NHK), NHK World and Radio Japan: based in Tokyo, while purporting to be an independent public broadcasting network, it rarely deviates from the official positions of the Government of Japan. Editorial independence has been eroded over the last 10 years. https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/ @nhkworld_news @nhk @nhk_news